The Star Spangled Banner House
Located at the intersection of Albemarle and East Pratt Streets in Baltimore, the Star Spangled Banner Flag House was built in 1793 and was once the home and business of Mary Pickersgill. Pickersgill sewed the garrison flag that flew over Fort McHenry and inspired Francis Scott Key to write our national anthem.
The house is composed of four stories (including a basement and attic) and is in relativity good condition. The facades facing the streets have been altered multiple times since their original construction and the original standing seam roof has been replaced with a wood shingle roof. The building has been in its current configuration since approximately 1950 and is currently used as an interpretive museum.
The building was individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1969 and is located in the Baltimore City Jonestown Historic District. The Maryland Historical Trust holds an easement on the building and the building is a CHAP Landmark.
We’re working on documenting the Star Spangled Banner Flag House and will repair various elements that have reached the end of their service life. Roof access is always tricky so we’re thankful to Elevated Element for getting fantastic drone coverage with the DJI Drone and working with Direct Dimensions to produce an interactive 3D model.
Encore Sustainable Architects, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking to Amazon.com - at no additional cost to you.