The Pagoda was constructed in 1904 as a sorority clubhouse for the National Park Seminary. Acquired by the U.S. Army in 1943, the building suffered from decades of deferred maintenance, clear from these Library of Congress images. Working with Save Our Seminary (SOS) we completed a Historic Structure Report identifying solutions for ground settlement, masonry cracking, deteriorated finishes and failed roofing. A complete exterior restoration by SOS using volunteers and subcontractors included restoration of original colors, soffit materials and roofing.
Received the American Institute of Architects- DC Chapter Award of Merit for Historic Resources.
Photo credits: Ward Bucher
Illustrations: National Park Seminary yearbooks